Saturday, December 12, 2015

December NOT Stitch from Stash

Even though Stitch from Stash didn't last, I have to give it credit for inspiring me to check into my blog each month.  It may not have been Pulitzer prize-winning stuff and some of you were bored out of your wits reading my monthly stash spending posts, but writing still felt good.

So...here we are in December.  I'm trying to wrap my head around to these winter holidays while living in a climate that - other than having shorter days - is decidedly NOT winter.  Last year we arrived on New Year's Eve, still in winter clothes and not quite ready to shed them.  But this year we arrived much earlier and let me tell you... I don't even remember what my jeans and sweaters look like.

OK...so since I popped in here last, we visited our son in Georgia for Thanksgiving.  I had a great week there and OMG - that boy can cook a turkey that's unbelievable!  My daughter-in-law and I cooked all the side dishes and they were great, but the turkey?  Probably the best I've ever eaten.

In between shopping and getting the kitchen ready for the Big Day, I squeezed in time to visit the Georgia Museum of Art to see the exhibit of Georgia's Girlhood Embroidery.  What a delight! I've downloaded a couple of the online photos from the webpage, but seeing them in person was much, much better.

Frances Rowe - photo from Georgia Museum of Art website.

Mary Smallwood Sampler - photo from Georgia Museum of Art website

After Thanksgiving we left Georgia and drove on down to St. Petersburg Florida, our home for the next 6 months.

I'll share some of my recent stitching with you.  I know everyone everywhere is stitching wonderful Christmas and Winter pieces, but not me.  I honestly can't get into it.  So I've been stitching a BBD piece that I've had in my stash forever.  I even recharted it to read "The lake appears all golden", but times have changed and its original text is just fine now.  I have lots more stitching to do on this, but here's where I am now:


I'm working on finding a home for my other needlework in our Florida home.  So much of my stitching has been very traditional, but Florida architecture and interior decorating feels quite different than that.  So I'm trying to find a balance - tropical and beachy without being twee and still feeling kind of traditional.  I've come across a few mermaid pieces and some nautical samplers, but if anyone has any specific suggestions, I'd be happy to read them.

So that's what's up with me for the month of December. I'll be back in January, but in the meantime, I'll leave you with a sunset over Boca Ciega Bay. 


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful sunset, Lee! Your BBD piece looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the newsy post, Lee! Please post more as the winter progresses so I can live vicariously in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the St. Pete's area !! Fav store is Haslams! I'm sure you have been there Lee! Lots of books!
    Your stitching is beautiful . Will look forward to seeing it finished . Haven't blogged for ages. Young lady started college and will be done exams Wed. Your Thanksgiving trip sounded wonderful. Beautiful pics of the needlework.Have a very Merry Christmas and enjoy the warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope there is another chair on that balcony....

    What a lovely way to spend Thanksgiving.

    Like you, I have not been able to find the right Florida style. I have an ornament with a mermaid that I've carried back and forth because it doesn't fit here and I can't find anywhere for it to fit in Florida.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds as though it was a very nice Thanksgiving. Not everyone need stitch Christmas...just stitch. Enjoy the beach for me please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to spend the winter! Love your Sunlit Sky; that's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just what did your son DO to make that turkey so delicious?? Inquiring minds... We have had a lovely few days here, but I think they are coming to an end... It was nice while it lasted! (BTW--I enjoyed reading at the SFS posts) Enjoy Florida... I shall think of you when it snows, to take away the cold!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After 14 years in Los Angeles, I can promise you do get used to the new winter weather. This year Christmas was in the high 60s and it felt so wonderfully familiar. And I love the part where I don't need to choose a coat to wear!

    ReplyDelete