Saturday, January 30, 2016

Not to sound ungracious...

But the heat has been on.  Yes, it's been downright chilly here in the Sunshine State and last night we had to switch from  AC to Heat.  One advantage is that I sleep better in a chilly room.  Where do you set your thermostat when you go to bed?  When I'm at home in the frozen north, it slides down to about 63.  I can't manage that here though.  I think the AC would blow up.

So...what a month!  Starting in December - Holidays and travelling can be exhausting, am I right?  We were lucky - our travel was amazingly smooth and without complications, but I can't say the same for many of the people I encountered in the airports.  We spent Christmas in Georgia and the New Year in Pittsburgh.  And I loved every minute but was glad to unpack my bag and be settled here in Florida for a while.

Florida...where I thought I'd be having all kinds of time to stitch and stitch and stitch.  Except I don't.  Late in December and all through January I've been reading like Henry Bemis from the Twilight Zone.
Look how happy he is before.....Well, you know.

In December and January I read 11 books, and that's a crazy lot for me.  My last book was All the Light We Cannot See and I loved it.  It was one of those that I would put down and then spend all my time away from it wondering what would happen next.

I've been playing cards with some of the ladies from my condo complex.  I'll tell you, just knowing people's names here and having them know mine makes a huge difference in my happiness.  I don't feel the loneliness that I felt last year.

And a local stitching store has three (3!) stitch ins every week!  I've gone once and will for sure go again.

But even though I'm not stitching like I thought I would, I've had ONE finish, and I'm pretty happy about it because it'll be the first piece of stitching created specifically for our Florida home.  Although I love my Pittsburgh framer, I'll have it framed at the stitching store here.  Hopefully next week. In the meantime, here are a couple pictures:








BBD's Beneath the Sunlit Sky


20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your finish! It turned out great. Looking forward to seeing how you frame it! Enjoy your reading and your stitching! Hope you get back to a the stitch store soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read All the Light We Cannot See last year and liked it too. You are reading a lot more than me. I just finished Pillars of the Earth which was also good. Reading the Dress Theif now. Glad your winter hiatus is feeling better this year. Nice job on your first Florida finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh poor you, inject slight note of sarcasm here, lol! Mm, well, at least you have heat! I love that stitching, Lee, just gorgeous! Never seen it before.

    So glad you are settling, names are so important, aren't they, along with a smile of recognition. I've been seeing a lot of references to All the Light, must check it out. Re Pillars of the Earth that Robin mentioned, a great read. I might be in the burgh at the beginning of March, but you probably won't be back? Hugs X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to ATLWCS and was completely mesmerized. Such a sweet, haunting story - so glad you enjoyed it too!

    I will definitely have to track down your BBD finish for myself as well. Florida designs that suit my taste are hard to find, but this one is perfect. Thanks for sharing the finish!

    Relish the coolness while you can - it won't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a lot of reading. it's nice when you start a book and can't put it down. a beautiful piece you finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to read you are enjoying your Florida home and the stitched piece is so pretty. Maybe eventually you will find more time to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha! I remember Henry. Doesn't sound too bad down there in Florida. What a gorgeous finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh, yes...the Florida coolness. I only brought like 3 long sleeve shirts.
    I also loved the book. I read it for a book club, otherwise I don't think I would have. You should also read Kristin Hannah's Nightingale. Another surprisingly good book. And here I'd sworn off WWII books! See you soon. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, at least you stitched one piece! I struggle with the dilemma of doing other things or stitch (like read books or FB!, go birding, etc.). Solved part of that by listening to audiobooks while stitching. And when it's too cold to go birding, I have feeders that I watch out my window, plus living vicariously thru southern birders on FB or live bird cams set up online... So I cannot complain...We get cold winter weather with a rare snowfall, so right now, at 57 degrees, it is like a heat wave and I want to do so much!! So good to read a post from you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful finish and it looks perfect with that beautiful backdrop :) I must have been out of the loop for some time. I did not even know you were living in FL now!!! I am glad you are meeting people..... Hope your day is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a beautiful finish. It sounds like you settling in Florida now you are stitching for your new home and making new friends. The stitching club sounds great as a shared hobby makes for lots to talk about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Sunlit Sky is beautiful! Is that your stitching spot? It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very pretty finish, well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you've settled right in to your FL life this year, Lee--I'm sure it feels more like home with your own place :) Just love that finish and the soft colors--it will look great framed and hung in your condo, I'm sure.

    Absolutely loved All the Light... (Listened to it and it was fabulous)

    Hope your weather gets warmer, but not too warm (it was 61 here on Sunday--crazy!) and that you keep enjoying life in the sunny south :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though the heat is on, it sounds like your time in Florida is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE Beneath the Sunlight Sky...it makes life sound dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your stitching Beneath the Sunlight Sky...it makes life sound dreamy and wonderful. I am imagine your time in Florida is just that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice! Funny how our stitching charts changed based on where we are leaving. I often wondered if I would be stitching flamingos and palm trees I lived in Florida versus samplers here in the northwest.

    ReplyDelete